The Lowcountry Affiliate of Susan G. Komen

The Lowcountry Affiliate of Susan G. Komen is an independent, tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organization.                We are governed by a local Board of Directors, representing the communities we serve.

KOMEN LOWCOUNTRY

The Lowcountry Affiliate of Susan G. Komen_Map_CMYK_Counties_OffKomen—along with those who generously support us with their talent, time and resources—is working to better the lives of those facing breast cancer in our community.

Since 1993, Susan G. Komen® Lowcountry has been working to reduce the burden of breast cancer in South Carolina. The first Charleston Race for the Cure was held in 1993, with proceeds funding a grant to The Medical University of South Carolina. Komen Lowcountry now serves 17 counties and more than 800,000 women and their families. The counties currently served by the Affiliate reach from the coastal to the PeeDee and Piedmont regions.

graphUp to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Komen Lowcountry Affiliate stay in our 17-county service area while the remaining 25 percent goes to the Susan G. Komen Research Grant Programs supporting research, awards and educational and scientific programs around the world.

The purpose of the Affiliate’s Mission programs, including grantmaking, education and advocacy, is to provide access to quality care for those who face barriers to breast care services. The Affiliate has invested more than $6.8 million dollars in community health programs through grant funding to community nonprofits, as well as state and federal agencies. These programs have provided more than 56,700 breast cancer screening, diagnostic and treatment support services to those in need. Komen Lowcountry has also funded breast health education reaching more than 1,202,000 people. We’ve invested more than $2.5 million dollars in ground-breaking breast cancer research through Susan G. Komen’s Research Program. These investments have been made possible through events like the Komen Lowcountry Race for the Cure® and private donations.

Komen Lowcountry is not an endowed foundation and does not receive direct funding from our parent organization or the federal government. Komen Lowcountry is the recipient of two grants from Susan G. Komen supporting community collaboratives and outreach programs. Komen’s Global Headquarters also provides advisory and support services for the Affiliate.

We join more than 100,000 breast cancer survivors and activists around the globe as part of the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots network fighting breast cancer.  Join us by calling (843) 556-8011.

History of Susan G. Komen

Susan G. Komen is the world’s largest breast cancer organization, funding more breast cancer Suzy_Nancy_Arm_Draped_RGB_JPGresearch than any other nonprofit while providing real-time help to those facing the disease. Since its founding in 1982, Komen has funded more than $800 million in research and provided more than $1.6 billion in funding to screening, education, treatment and psychosocial support programs serving millions of people in more than 30 countries worldwide. Komen was founded by Nancy G. Brinker, who promised her sister, Susan G. Komen, that she would end the disease that claimed Suzy’s life.